Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Arena Football League folding


by Cylinsier

Shit. The Arena Football League is ceasing operations indefinitely and declaring chapter 7. That means the most successful and visible indoor football league is done. Which makes my PS2 AFL game probably a collector's item in a few more years, but nevertheless leaves me without spring football action. Its abundantly obvious that no one is reading this, and I don't mean the usual no one like three people, but literally no one because even the handful of folks that give me the benefit of the doubt and briefly skim my blog over a coffee break out of pity have stopped reading. Frankly, no one else but me and I think fellow blogger Dick gave two shits about the AFL. Which is a shame because it was on the cusp, man. It was right there. One, maybe two more seasons and it was about to blow up. I mean come on, we had Mike and Fucking Mike in the Morning covering games. It was sooooo close...

Well, we still have the IFL which is now the nation's premier indoor football league. But it has no national TV deal that I'm aware of. Hopefully it will get one in a few years so I can see people playing football but also getting crammed into walls, and most importantly this during the off season. In the mean time, its a good thing I like hockey.

While I mourn the loss of my favorite sports league that other people had never heard of, I've decided to switch my attention to a different sport that I find greatly interesting and also that no one pays attention to. Roller Derby! Hell yes! Typically all women or at least co-ed, Roller Derby combines roller skates, hockey style body checks and fights, racing, small venue underground action, a unique scoring and strategy system and, well, what else do you want? A lot of big cities, including my current place of residence Pittsburgh, have local Derby leagues for you to check out. So what are you waiting for? Go watch some Roller Derby action! And if you feel so inclined, check out the IFL and do what you can to add to their popularity. Sphere: Related Content

4 comments:

Ellipses said...

I want to be interested in AFL, but real football and hockey take me from august to June... I mean really, there isn't even time for the pirates... Or, what other folks call "baseball"

oh, and you have more than 3 people reading:-) the numbers are not bad for being less than 2 weeks in

Cylinsier said...

Yeah, I figured we probably had more, but I'm pro-self-deprecating-humor.

MJ said...

I went to a Tampa Bay Storm game in the mid-1990s and it was a cross between a rock concert and football on speed.

Cylinsier said...

I've always wanted to go to an AFL game. Guess I missed my chance.